Ad Code

The Mahabharata of Krishna-Dwaipayana Vyasa BOOK 1 ADI PARVA SECTION LXXXII (Sambhava Parva continued)


 The Mahabharata of

Krishna-Dwaipayana Vyasa BOOK 1
ADI PARVA

 SECTION LXXXII


(Sambhava Parva continued)


"Vaisampayana said, 'Yayati then, on returning to his capital which was

like unto the city of Indra, entered his inner apartments and established

there his bride Devayani. And the monarch, directed by Devayani,

established Vrishaparvan's daughter Sarmishtha in a mansion especially

erected near the artificial woods of Asokas in his gardens. And the king

surrounded Vrishaparvan's daughter Sarmishtha with a thousand maids and

honoured her by making every arrangement for her food and garments. But

it was with Devayani that the royal son of Nahusha sported like a

celestial for many years in joy and bliss. And when her season came, the

fair Devayani conceived. And she brought forth as her first child a fine

boy. And when a thousand years had passed away, Vrishaparvan's daughter

Sarmishtha having attained to puberty saw that her season had come. She

became anxious and said to herself, 'My season hath arrived. But I have

not yet chosen a husband. O, what hath happened, what should I do? How am

I to obtain the fruition of my wishes? Devayani hath become mother. My

youth is doomed to pass away in vain. Shall I choose him also for my

husband whom Devayani hath chosen? This is, indeed, my resolve: that

monarch should give me a son. Will not the virtuous one grant me a

private interview?'


"Vaisampayana continued, 'While Sarmishtha was thus busy with her

thoughts, the king wandering listlessly came to that very wood of Asokas,

and beholding Sarmishtha before him, stood there in silence. Then

Sarmishtha of sweet smiles seeing the monarch before her with nobody to

witness what might pass, approached him and said with joined palms, 'O

son of Nahusha, no one can behold the ladies that dwell in the inner

apartments of Soma, of Indra, of Vishnu, of Yama, of Varuna, and of thee!

Thou knowest, O king, that I am both handsome and well-born. I solicit

thee, O king! My season hath arrived. See that it goeth not in vain.'


"Yayati answered, 'Well do I know that honour of birth is thine, born as

thou art in the proud race of the Danavas. Thou art also gifted with

beauty. I do not, indeed, see even the speck of a fault in thy feature.

But Usanas commanded me, while I was united with Devayani, that never

should Vrishaparvan's daughter he summoned to my bed.'


"Sarmishtha then said, 'It hath been said, O king, that it is not sinful

to lie on the occasion of a joke, in respect of women sought to be

enjoyed, on occasions of marriage, in peril of immediate death and of the

loss of one's whole fortune. Lying is excusable on these five occasions.

O king, it is not true that he is fallen who speaks not the truth when

asked. Both Devayani and myself have been called hither as companions to

serve the same purpose. When, therefore, thou hadst said that you wouldst

confine thyself to one only amongst as, that was a lie thou hadst

spoken.' Yayati replied, 'A king should ever be a model in the eyes of

his people. That monarch certainly meets with destruction who speaks an

untruth. As for myself, I dare not speak an untruth even if the greatest

loss threatens me!' Sarmishtha answered, 'O monarch, one may look upon

her friend's husband as her own. One's friend's marriage is the same as

one's own. Thou hast been chosen by my friend as her husband. Thou art as

much my husband, therefore.' Yayati then said, 'It is, indeed my vow

always to grant what one asketh. As thou askest me, tell me then what I

am to do.' Sarmishtha then said, 'Absolve me, O king, from sin. Protect

my virtue. Becoming a mother by thee, let me practise the highest virtue

in this world. It is said, O king, that a wife, a slave, and a son can

never earn wealth for themselves. What they earn always belongeth to him

who owneth them. I am, indeed, the slave of Devayani. Thou art Devayani's

master and lord. Thou art, therefore, O king, my master and lord as much

as Devayani's! I solicit thee! O, fulfil my wishes!'


"Vaisampayana continued, 'Thus addressed by Sarmishtha, the monarch was

persuaded into the truth of all she spoke. He therefore, honoured

Sarmishtha by protecting her virtue. And they passed some time together.

And taking affectionate farewell of each other, they then parted, each

returning to whence he or she had come.


"And it came to pass that Sarmishtha of sweet smiles and fair eyebrows

conceived in consequence of that connection of hers with that best of

monarchs. And, O king, that lotus-eyed lady then in due course of time

brought forth a son of the splendour of a celestial child and of eyes

like-lotus-petals.'"



Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad Code