Ad Code

FIFTEEN THOUSAND USEFUL PHRASES BY GRENVILLE KLEISER- SECTION X PUBLIC SPEAKING PHRASES PART -2

 J


Just the reverse is true



L


Language is inadequate to voice my appreciation


Lastly, I do not understand


Lastly, it can not be denied


Less than this could not be said


Lest I should be accused of quibbling


Let all of us labor in this work


Let anyone imagine to himself


Let anyone who doubts


Let everyone consider


Let it be clearly understood, I repeat it


Let it be remembered


Let it not be objected


Let it not be supposed that I impute

                       [impute = relate to a particular cause or source]


Let me add another thing


Let me add my final word


Let me add one other hint


Let me also say a word in regard


Let me answer these questions


Let me ask you to imagine


Let me ask your leave to propose


Let me be allowed to devote a few words


Let me call attention to another fact


Let me commend to you


Let me direct your attention now to


Let me entreat you to examine


Let me give one more instance


Let me give one parting word


Let me give you an illustration


Let me here make one remark


Let me here say


Let me hope that I have said enough


Let me illustrate again


Let me make myself distinctly understood


Let me make use of an illustration


Let me not be thought offensive


Let me now conclude with


Let me once more urge upon you


Let me protest against the manner


Let me quite temperately defend


Let me rather make the supposition


Let me say a practical word


Let me simply declare


Let me tell you an interesting reminiscence


Let me thank you once more


Let me urge you earnestly


Let no man congratulate himself


Let our conception be enlarged


Let our object be


Let that question be answered by


Let the facts be granted


Let these instances suffice


Let this be the record made


Let this inspire us with abhorrence of


Let us approach the subject from another side


Let us attempt a survey


Let us be perfectly just


Let us be quite practical


Let us bear perpetually in mind


Let us begin at the beginning


Let us begin by examining


Let us briefly review


Let us brush aside once for all


Let us cherish


Let us confirm our opinion


Let us consider for a moment


Let us devote ourselves


Let us discard all prejudice


Let us do all we can


Let us draw an illustration


Let us endeavor to understand


Let us enumerate


Let us figure to ourselves


Let us for the moment put aside


Let us get a clear understanding


Let us heed the voice


Let us hope and believe


Let us hope that future generations


Let us imitate


Let us inquire also


Let us labor and pray


Let us likewise remember


Let us look briefly at a few particulars


Let us look nearer home


Let us not be fearful


Let us not be misled


Let us not be misunderstood


Let us not flatter ourselves


Let us not for a moment forget


Let us not limit our view


Let us now apply the views presented


Let us now consider the characteristics


Let us now see the results


Let us now turn our consideration


Let us observe this analogy


Let us pass on to another fact


Let us pause a moment


Let us push the inquiry yet further


Let us rather listen to


Let us reflect how vain


Let us remember this


Let us remind ourselves


Let us resolve


Let us scrutinize the facts


Let us suppose, for argument's sake


Let us suppose the case to be


Let us take, for instance


Let us, then, be assured


Let us, then, be worthy of


Let us, therefore, say once for all


Let us try to form a mental picture


Let us turn to the contemplation of


Let your imagination realize


Like all citizens of high ideals


Likely enough


Little wonder therefore


Long have I been convinced


Look at it in another way


Look at some of these questions


Look at the situation



M


Mainly, I believe


Making allowances for differences of opinion


Many of us have had the good fortune


Many of you, perhaps, recollect


May I ask you to believe


May I not speak here


May I try to show that every effort


May I venture to suggest


May it not also be advanced


May the day come quickly


Meantime it is encouraging to think


Meanwhile let us freely recognize


Men are in the habit of saying


Men are telling us nowadays


Men everywhere testify


More and more it is felt


More than once have I had to express


More than this need not be said


Moreover, I have insisted


Moreover, I would counsel you


Moreover, when we pass judgment


Much has been said and written about


My appreciation has been quickened


My belief, therefore, is


My duty is to endeavor to show


My experience tells me


My first duty is to express to you


My friends, do you really believe


My friends, I propose


My heart tells me


My idea, therefore, is


My last criticism upon


My mind is not moved by


My mind most perfectly acquiesces


My next objection is


My own private opinion is


My present business is


My regret is intensified by the thought



N


Nay, I boldly say


Nay, it will be a relief to my mind


Nay, there is a general feeling


Need I say that I mean


Neither should you deceive


Never before have I so strongly felt


Never can I cease to feel


Never did there devolve


Never for a moment believe


Never have I felt so forcibly


Never was a weaker defense attempted


Never was there a greater mistake


Never was there an instance


Nevertheless we can admit


Next, from what has been said it is plain


Next, I consider


Next, it will be denied


No argument can overwhelm a fact


No defense is to be found


No distinct test can be named


No doubt, in the first instance


No doubt there are many questions


No doubt to most of us


No finer sentence has come down to us


No greater service could be rendered


No longer do we believe


No man regrets more than I do


No one can feel this more strongly


No one can, I think, pretend


No one can see the end


No one here, I am sure


No one, I suppose, would say


No one, I think, can fail to observe


No one, I think, will dispute the statement


No one need to exaggerate


No one will accuse me


No true man ever believes


None can have failed to observe


Nor am I disparaging or discouraging


Nor can I forget either


Nor can it justly be said


Nor can we afford to waste time


Nor can we forget how long


Nor can we now ask


Nor do I believe


Nor do I doubt


Nor do I pretend


Nor do I think there can be found


Nor does it matter much


Nor has there been wanting


Nor indeed am I supposing


Nor is it a fair objection


Nor is it probable


Nor is this all


Nor let me forget to add here


Nor must I be understood as saying


Nor must it be forgotten


Nor need we fear to speak


Nor should any attempt be made


Nor will history fail to record


Nor will I enlarge on the matter


Not at all


Not only so


Not that I quarrel with


Nothing but the deepest sense


Nothing can be further from the truth


Nothing could be clearer


Nothing could be more striking


Nothing is more common in the world


Nothing that you can do


Notwithstanding all that has been said


Notwithstanding all this, I hold


Now, bear with me when I say


Now comes the question


Now, comparing these instances together


Now, from these instances it is plain


Now, having spoken of


Now, I admit


Now, I am far from denying


Now, I am far from undervaluing


Now, I am justified in calling this


Now, I am obliged to say


Now, I do not wish you to believe


Now, I have a closing sentence or two


Now, I pass on to consider


Now, I shall not occupy your time


Now, I understand the argument


Now, I will undertake to say


Now, I wish to call your attention


Now, if you will clearly understand


Now, is there any ground or basis for


Now, it is an undoubted fact


Now, it is evident


Now, it is not at all strange


Now, it is unquestioned


Now, let me speak with the greatest care


Now, let me stop a moment


Now, let us consider


Now, observe, my drift


Now, sir, I am truly horrified


Now, the answer we should give


Now, the question here at issue


Now, the world will say


Now, there is a close alliance between


Now, this is precisely the danger


Now, this is to some extent


Now, understand me definitely


Now, we do not maintain


Now, we will inquire


Now, what I want you to realize


Now, with regard to


Now, you will allow me to state


Now, you will understand from this



O


Observe again


Occasionally you ought to read


Of course I am aware


Of course I am putting an impossible case


Of course I can not be taken to mean


Of course I do not maintain


Of course I do not stop here


Of course I would not allow


Of course much may be said


Of course these remarks hold good


Of course we may, if we please


Of course you will sympathize


Of one thing, however, I am certain


Of this briefly


Of this statement I will only say


Of this truth I shall convince you by


On a review of the whole subject


On occasions of this kind


On such a day as this


On the contrary, I am assuming


On the occasion to which I refer


On the other hand, it is clear


On the whole, then, I observe


On this auspicious occasion


On this point I do not mean to dwell


On this subject you need not suspect


Once again, there are those


Once more I emphasize


Once more let me try to put into words


One additional remark


One almost wishes


One can not decline to note


One concluding remark has to be made


One fact is clear and indisputable


One further word


One important topic remains


One is fairly tempted to wish


One lesson history may be said to repeat


One might be challenged to produce


One of the ancients said


One of the most commonly known


One of the most extraordinary incidents


One of the things I recollect with most pride


One of these signs is the fact


One or two points are made clear


One other circumstance


One other remark suggests itself


One remark I will make


One thing more will complete this question


One thing which always impressed me


One very striking tendency


One word in courtesy I must say


One word more in a serious vein


One would naturally suppose


Only so much do I know


Opinions are divided as to whether


Or to come nearer home


Or to take but one other example


Ordinarily speaking, such deductions


Others may hold other opinions


Ought we not to think


Our thoughts wander back


Over and above all this



P


Pardon me if


Perhaps another reason why


Perhaps, however, in speaking to you


Perhaps, however, some among you will be


Perhaps I may be best able to illustrate


Perhaps I ought to say


Perhaps it may be doubted


Perhaps, sir, I am mistaken in


Permit me frankly to say


Permit me to add another circumstance


Permit me to bring home to you


Personally, I am far too firm a believer


Pray, sir, let me say



R


Read but your history aright


Recollect, sir


Reflections such as these


Rely upon it


Remember, I do not seek to


Remembering some past occurrences


Returning, then, to the consideration



S


Seriously, then, do I beg you


Shall I tell you


Shall we complain


Should there be objection, I answer


Since, then, it is provided


Since, then, this is the case


Sir, with all my heart, I respond


So accustomed are we


So at least it seems to me


So far as I know


So far as my observation and experience goes


So far in general


So I say to you


So it comes to pass


So long as we continue to love truth and duty


So men are asking


So much at first sight


So much on this subject


So that I may venture to say


So that if you were persuaded


So then ought we also


So, to add one other example


So, too, I may go on to speak


So when I hear people say


Some have insisted


Some of you can recall the time


Some of you may think this visionary


Some of you will remember


Some one will perhaps object


Some prejudice is attached


Some writer has said


Sometimes I venture to think


Sometimes it may happen


Speaking in this place


Startling as this may appear to you


Stating only the truth, I affirm


Still another encouraging fact


Still further


Still I can not part from my subject


Still I have generally found


Still I imagine you would consider it


Still I know what answer I can make to


Still it may with justice be said


Still one thing more


Still we ought to be grateful


Strange as it may seem


Strictly in confidence, I do not think


Strictly speaking, there is no such thing


Such a doctrine is essentially superficial


Such are the rather tolerant ideas


Such considerations as these


Such, I believe, would be the consequences


Such illustrations are not frequent


Such, in brief, is the story


Such is steadfastly my opinion


Such is the deep prejudice now existing


Such is the intellectual view we take


Such is the lesson which I am taught


Such is the progress


Such is the truth


Such, sir, I conceive to be


Such, then, is the true idea


Such, too, is the characteristic of


Suffer me to point out


Suffice it to say here


Summing up what I have said


Suppose we turn our eyes to


Surely I do not misinterpret


Surely it is a paradox


Surely it is not too much for me to say



T


Take another instance


Take one of the most recent cases


Take the simple fact


Take this example


Taking a broader view


Taking the facts by themselves


That is a further point


That is a natural boast


That is a pure assumption


That is all that it seems necessary to me


That is all very good


That is far from my thoughts


That is final and conclusive


That is the lesson of history


That is the question of questions


That you may conceive the force of


The answer is easy to find


The answer is ready


The belief is born of the wish


The broad principle which I would lay down


The circumstances under which we meet


The climax of my purpose in this address


The common consent of civilized mankind


The conclusion is irresistible


The confusing assertion is sometimes made


The day is at hand


The decided objection is raised


The doctrine I am combating


The doctrine is admirable


The effect too often is


The evolution of events has brought


The fact has made a deep impression on me


The fact has often been insisted


The fact to be particularly noted


The facts are clear and unequivocal


The facts may be strung together


The first business of every man


The first counsel I would offer


The first great fact to remember is


The first point to be ascertained


The first practical thought is


The first remarkable instance was


The first thing I wish to note


The first thing that we have to consider


The future historian will, no doubt


The generous feeling that has promoted you


The great mass of the people


The hour is at hand


The illustration is analogous


The important thing is


The instance I shall choose


The irresistible tendency of


The kindness with which I have been received


The last and distinguishing feature is


The latest inclination I have seen


The lesson which we should take most to heart


The main cause of all this


The more you examine this matter


The most concise tribute paid


The most reasonable anticipation


The most remarkable step forward


The most striking characteristic


The most sublime instance that I know


The next point is


The next question to be considered is


The next thing I consider indispensable


The occasion that calls us together


The one central difference between


The only course that remains open


The only plea to be offered


The other day I observed


The paramount consideration is


The perils that beset us here


The pleasing duty is assigned me


The point I have urged upon you is


The point I wish a little further to speak of


The point to which I shall call your attention


The popular notion is


The practical inference from all this


The presence of this brilliant assemblage


The pressing question is


The prevalent opinion, no doubt


The proof of this statement is to be found


The question is deeply involved


The question, then, recurs


The remedy I believe to be


The result, I fancy, has been


The result of the whole


The rule will always hold good


The sacred voice of inspiration


The same is true in respect of


The scene all comes back


The sentiment to which I am to respond


The sentiment which you have expressed


The simple rule and test


The simple truth is


The soundness of this doctrine depends


The strongest proof I have


The subject of the evening's address


The subject which has been assigned to me


The task has been placed in my hands


The testimony of history is


The theory seems at first sight


The thought with which I shall close


The time has manifestly now arrived


The time is not far distant


The time is now come for me


The times are full of signs and warnings


The toast I am about to propose to you


The vain wish has sometimes been indulged


The view I have been enforcing


The view is more misleading


The warmth and kindness of your reception


The welcome that has been extended to me


The whole story of civilization


Then again, in corroboration


Then again, when men say


Then take the other side of the argument


Then the question arises


Then there is another story


Then, too, it must be remembered


There are certain old truths


There are few spectacles


There are hopeful signs of


There are, I believe, many who think


There are, indeed, exceptions


There are, indeed, persons who profess


There are many educated and intelligent people


There are people in every community


There are several reasons why


There are some slight modifications


There are some who are fond of looking at


There are some who have an idea


There are those of us who can remember


There are those who wish


There are two conflicting theories


There can be but one answer


There can be no doubt


There has been a great deal of discussion lately


There has been no period of time


There have been differences of opinion


There is a characteristic saying


There is a class of person


There is a common saying


There is a conviction


There is a degree of evidence


There is a genuine grief


There is a great deal of rash talking


There is a growing disposition


There is a large class of thinkers


There is a lesson of profound interest


There is a more important question


There is a most serious lesson


There is a multitude of facts


There is a question of vital importance


There is a very common tendency


There is a vital difference of opinion


There is an analogy in this respect


There is an ancient story to the effect


There is an eternal controversy


There is another class of men


There is another factor


There is another object equally important


There is another point of view


There is another remarkable analogy


There is another sense in which


There is, at any rate, to be said


There is but one consideration


There is certainly no reason


There is hardly any limit


There is, however, another opinion


There is, however, one caution


There is little truth in


There is no field of human activity


There is no good reason


There is no justification for


There is no mistaking the purpose


There is no more insidious peril


There is no more striking exemplification


There is no occasion to exaggerate


There is no page of history


There is no sense in saying


There is no worse perversion


There is not a shadow of evidence


There is nothing more repulsive


There is nothing overstated in this description


There is nothing to show


There is one story which it is said


There is only one sense in which


There is some difference of opinion


There is something strangely interesting


There is yet another distinction


There is yet one other remark


There ought certainly to be


There was but one alternative


There was one remarkable incident


There will always be a number of men


There will be no difficulty


There yet remains


Therefore, there is no possibility of a doubt


Therein lies your responsibility


These alone would not be sufficient


These are enough to refute the opinion


These are general counsels


These are generalizations


These are my reasons for


These are points for consideration


These considerations have great weight with me


These exceptions do not hold in the case of


These ideas naturally present themselves


These instances are far from common


These instances are indications


These last words lead me to say


These objections only go to show


These questions I shall examine


These various partial views


They mistake the intelligence


They would persuade you to


Think for a moment


Think of the cool disregard


This absurdity arises


This appeal to the common sense


This argument is especially cogent     [cogent = powerfully persuasive]


This, at least, is sure


This being the case


This being true


This being undeniable, it is plain


This being understood, I ask


This brings me to a single remark


This brings us to a subject


This episode goes to prove


This fact was soon made manifest


This from the nature of the case


This I conceive to be the business


This I consider to be my own case


This I have told you


This is a general statement


This is a very one-sided conception


This is a very serious situation


This is an astonishing announcement


This is conceded by


This is contrary to all argument


This is doubtless the truth


This is especially the case


This is essentially an age of


This is in the main just


This is like saying


This is not all


This is not the main point of objection


This is not the occasion or the place


This is obvious


This is on the whole reasonable


This is only another illustration of


This is owing in great measure to


This is precisely what we ought to do


This is said in no spirit of


This is suggested to us


This is the design and intention


This is the great fact


This is the main point on which the inquiry turns


This is the meaning of


This is the obvious answer


This is the point I want to impress upon you


This is the point of view


This is the position of our minds


This is the radical question


This is the sentiment of mankind


This is the starting-point


This is the sum


This is to be found in the fact


This is what I am led to say


This is what may be objected


This is why I take the liberty


This language is plain


This leads me to the question


This leads us to inquire


This may be said without prejudice


This might be illustrated at length


This much is certain


This sentiment was well-nigh universal


This, surely, is the conclusion


This, then, is the answer


This, then, is the drift of my illustration


This, then, is what I mean by saying


This will be evident at once


This you can not deny


Those who have watched the tendencies


Thus a great deal may be done


Thus analogy suggests


Thus far, I willingly admit


Thus I am led on to another remark


Thus if you look into


Thus instances occur now and then


Thus it comes to pass


Thus my imagination tells me


Thus much, however, I may say


Thus much I may be allowed to say


Thus much may be sufficient to recall


Thus we see


Time would not permit me


To a man of the highest public spirit


To avoid all possibility of being misunderstood


To be more explicit


To be sure, we sometimes hear


To bring the matter nearer home


To convince them of this


To feel the true force of this argument


To illustrate


To make my story quite complete


To me, however, it would appear


To my way of conceiving such matters


To prevent misapprehension


To some it may sound like a paradox


To sum up all that has been said


To sum up in one word


To take a very different instance


To the conclusion thus drawn


To the enormous majority of persons


To these general considerations


To this I answer


To this it will be replied


To what other cause can you ascribe


To-day, as never before


Treading close upon the heels


Tried by this standard


True it is


True, there are difficulties


Truly it is a subject for astonishment


Two things are made very clear



U


Under all the circumstances


Under these favoring conditions


Under this head


Undoubtedly we may find


Unfortunately it is a truth


Unless I could be sure


Up to this moment I have stated



V


Very strange is this indeed



W


We all agree as to


We all feel the force of the maxim


We all in equal sincerity profess


We almost shudder when we see


We are accustomed to lay stress upon


We are all familiar with


We are approaching an era


We are apt to forget


We are assembled here to-day


We are beginning to realize


We are bound to give heed


We are constantly being told


We are fulfilling what I believe to be


We are in the habit of saying


We are met to-night


We are not able to prove


We are not disinterested


We are quite unable to speculate


We are told emphatically


We are tolerably certain


We believe with a sincere belief


We can but pause to contemplate


We can imagine the amazement of


We can not but be struck with


We can not escape the truth


We can not have this too deeply fixed


We can not too highly honor the temper of


We can not wonder


We can only applaud the sentiment


We can only bow with awe


We can presume


We can remember with pride


We can see to some extent


We continually hear nowadays


We deeply appreciate the circumstances of


We do not quarrel with those


We do not question the reality


We do well to recall


We easily persuade ourselves


We feel keenly about such things


We grope blindly along


We have a firm assurance


We have a right to claim


We have an overpowering sense


We have been accustomed to


We have been told by more than one


We have come together to-night


We have great reason to be thankful


We have heard lately


We have here plain proof


We have need to examine


We have no means of knowing


We have no other alternative


We have not yet solved the problem


We have sought on this occasion


We have the evidence of this


We have the good fortune to-night


We have to admit


We have witnessed on many occasions


We hear it is said sometimes


We hear no complaint


We heartily wish and mean


We hold fast to the principle


We laugh to scorn the idea


We may all of us agree


We may be permitted to remember


We may contemplate with satisfaction


We may have a deep consciousness


We may indeed consider


We may not know precisely how


We must also look


We must constantly direct our purpose


We must not be deceived


We must not mistake


We must realize conscientiously


We must remember


We need no proof to assure us


We need not look far for reasons


We need not trouble ourselves


We of this generation


We often hear persons say


We ought in strict propriety


We pride ourselves upon the fact


We rightly pay all honor


We see in a variety of ways


We shall all doubtless concede


We shall be blind not to perceive


We shall do well to remember


We shall have no difficulty in determining


We should be convinced


We should contemplate and compare


We should dread nothing so much


We should lend our influence


We should not question for a moment


We should not, therefore, question


We stand astonished at


We stumble and falter and fall


We take it for granted


We will not stop to inquire


Weighty as these conditions are


Well, gentlemen, it must be confessed


Well may we explain


Well, now, let us propose


Well, that being the case, I say


Were I to enter into a detailed description


Were I to speculate


What are the precise characteristics


What are we to think of


What are you going to do


What can avail


What can be more intelligible


What can be more monstrous than


What can I say better


What commonly happens is this


What could be more captivating


What could be more true


What do we gain by


What do we understand to have been


What I mean is this


What I now say is


What I object to is


What I propose to do is


What I shall actually attempt to show here


What I suggest is


What is more important


What is more remarkable


What is the pretext


What is this but to say


What more shall I say


What remains but to wish you


What strikes the mind so forcibly


What, then, are we to believe


What, then, can be the reason


What, then, I may be asked


What, then, is the use


What, then, was the nature of


What was the consequence of


What we are concerned to know is


What we have most to complain of


What would you say


Whatever a man thinks


Whatever difference of opinion may exist


Whatever opinion I may express


Whatever the truth may be


When I am told


When I hear it said


When I remember the history


When I review these circumstances


When I speak of this question


When I thus profess myself


When one remembers


When we consider the vastness


When we contemplate


When we get so far as this


When we look closely at


When will men understand


When you are assured


When you did me the honor to invite me


Whence it is, I say


Whence was the proof to come


While acknowledging the great value


While I feel most keenly the honor


While I have hinted to you


Whilst I am on this matter


Who can deny the effect


Who can say in a word


Who does not like to see


Who has not felt the contrast


Who that reads does not see


Who will accuse me


Why, again, should I take notice


Why need you seek to disprove


Will any gentleman say


Will anyone answer


Will it be whispered


Will it not be well for us


Will you allow me to present to you


Will you bear with me


Will you mistake this


Will you permit me to thank you


With all my heart I share


With possibly a single exception


With respect to what has been said


With this ideal clearly before us


With whatever opinions we come here


Without going into any details


Without my saying a word more



Y


Yet I am convinced


Yet I am willing to admit


Yet I am willing to conclude


Yet I feel quite free to say


Yet I, for one, do not hesitate to admit


Yet I have never been thoroughly satisfied


Yet I suppose it is worth while


Yet I would have to think


Yet if you were to ask the question


Yet it is instructive and interesting


Yet it is no less true


Yet it is perfectly plain


Yet let me consider what consequences must


Yet may I not remind you


You all know the history of


You and I are always contrasting


You are at a parting of the ways


You are now invited to do honor


You can never forget


You can not assert


You do not need to be told


You have all read the story


You have been gracious enough to assign to me


You have been mindful


You have been pleased to confer upon me


You have but to observe


You have done me great honor


You have no right


You have not forgotten


You have often pondered over


You have sometimes been astonished


You know that it is impossible to


You know the legend which has grown up


You know very well


You may also be assured


You may be acquainted with


You may be sure


You may depend upon it


You may remember


You may well be proud


You may well study the example


You might apply to yourselves


You must not forget


You must understand I do not mean to claim


You ought not to disregard what I say


You remember how


You will allow me to say with becoming brevity


You will be pleased to hear


You will bear me out when I say


You will clearly understand


You will expect me to say something about


You will forgive me


You will join with me, I trust


You will observe


You will pardon me, I am sure


You will scarcely be surprised


You would never dream of urging


You yourselves are the evidence


Your friendly and generous words


Your good sense must tell you


Your presence seems to say


Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad Code