Ad Code

The Mahabharata of Krishna-Dwaipayana Vyasa BOOK 1 ADI PARVA SECTION CLIV (Hidimva-vadha Parva)

 

 The Mahabharata of

Krishna-Dwaipayana Vyasa BOOK 1
ADI PARVA

SECTION CLIV


(Hidimva-vadha Parva)


"Vaisampayana said, 'Not far from the place where the Pandavas were

asleep, a Rakshasa by name Hidimva dwelt on the Sala tree. Possessed of

great energy and prowess, he was a cruel cannibal of visage that was grim

in consequence of his sharp and long teeth. He was now hungry and longing

for human flesh. Of long shanks and a large belly, his locks and beard

were both red in hue. His shoulders were broad like the neck of a tree;

his ears were like unto arrows, and his features were frightful. Of red

eyes and grim visage, the monster beheld, while casting his glances

around, the sons of Pandu sleeping in those woods. He was then hungry and

longing for human flesh. Shaking his dry and grizzly locks and scratching

them with his fingers pointed upwards, the large-mouthed cannibal

repeatedly looked at the sleeping sons of Pandu yawning wistfully at

times. Of huge body and great strength, of complexion like the colour of

a mass of clouds, of teeth long and sharp-pointed and face emitting a

sort of lustre, he was ever pleased with human flesh. And scenting the

odour of man, he addressed his sister, saying, 'O sister, it is after a

long time that such agreeable food hath approached me! My mouth waters at

the anticipated relish of such food. My eight teeth, so sharp-pointed and

incapable of being resisted by any substance, I shall, today, after a

long time, put into the most delicious flesh. Attacking the human throat

and even opening the veins, I shall (today) drink a plentiful quantity of

human blood, hot and fresh and frothy. Go and ascertain who these are,

lying asleep in these woods. The strong scent of man pleaseth my

nostrils. Slaughtering all these men, bring them unto me. They sleep

within my territory. Thou needest have no fear from them. Do my bidding

soon, for we shall then together eat their flesh, tearing off their

bodies at pleasure. And after feasting to our fill on human flesh we

shall then dance together to various measures!'


"Thus addressed by Hidimva in those woods, Hidimva, the female cannibal,

at the command of her brother, went, O bull of Bharata's race, to the

spot where the Pandavas were. And on going there, she beheld the Pandavas

asleep with their mother and the invincible Bhimasena sitting awake. And

beholding Bhimasena unrivalled on earth for beauty and like unto a

vigorous Sala tree, the Rakshasa woman immediately fell in love with him,

and she said to herself, 'This person of hue like heated gold and of

mighty arms, of broad shoulders as the lion, and so resplendent, of neck

marked with three lines like a conch-shell and eyes like lotus-petals, is

worthy of being my husband. I shall not obey the cruel mandate of my

brother. A woman's love for her husband is stronger than her affection

for her brother. If I slay him, my brother's gratification as well as

mine will only be momentary. But if I slay him not, I can enjoy, with him

for ever and ever.' Thus saying, the Rakshasa woman, capable of assuming

form at will, assumed an excellent human form and began to advance with

slow steps towards Bhima of mighty arms. Decked with celestial ornaments

she advanced with smiles on her lips and a modest gait, and addressing

Bhima said, 'O bull among men, whence hast thou come here and who art

thou? Who, besides, are these persons of celestial beauty sleeping here?

Who also, O sinless one, is this lady of transcendent beauty sleeping so

trustfully in these woods as if she were lying in her own chamber? Dost

thou not know that this forest is the abode of a Rakshasa. Truly do I

say, here liveth the wicked Rakshasa called Hidimva. Ye beings of

celestial beauty, I have been sent hither even by that Rakshasa--my

brother--with the cruel intent of killing you for his food. But I tell

thee truly that beholding thee resplendent as a celestial, I would have

none else for my husband save thee! Thou who art acquainted with all

duties, knowing this, do unto me what is proper. My heart as well as my

body hath been pierced by (the shafts of) Kama (Cupid). O, as I am

desirous of obtaining thee, make me thine. O thou of mighty arms, I will

rescue thee from the Rakshasa who eateth human flesh. O sinless one, be

thou my husband. We shall then live on the breasts of mountains

inaccessible to ordinary mortals. I can range the air and I do so at

pleasure. Thou mayest enjoy great felicity with me in those regions.'


"Hearing these words of hers, Bhima replied, 'O Rakshasa woman, who can,

like a Muni having all his passions under control, abandon his sleeping

mother and elder and younger brothers? What man like me would go to

gratify his lust, leaving his sleeping mother and brothers as food for a

Rakshasa?'


"The Rakshasa woman replied, 'O, awaken all these, I shall do unto you

all that is agreeable to thee! I shall certainly rescue you all from my

cannibal brother?'


"Bhima then said, 'O Rakshasa woman, I will not, from fear of thy wicked

brother, awaken my brothers and mother sleeping comfortably in the woods.

O timid one, Rakshasas are never able to bear the prowess of my arms.

And, O thou of handsome eyes, neither men, nor Gandharvas, nor Yakshas

are able to bear my might. O amiable one, thou mayst stay or go as thou

likest, or mayst even send thy cannibal brother, O thou of delicate

shape. I care not.'"




SECTION CLV


(Hidimva-vadha Parva continued)


"Vaisampayana said, 'Hidimva, the chief of the Rakshasas, seeing that his

sister returned not soon enough, alighted from the tree, proceeded

quickly to the spot where the Pandavas were. Of red eyes and strong arms

and the arms and the hair of his head standing erect, of large open mouth

and body like unto a mass of dark clouds, teeth long and sharp-pointed,

he was terrible to behold. And Hidimva, beholding her brother of

frightful visage alight from the tree, became very much alarmed, and

addressing Bhima said, 'The wicked cannibal is coming hither in wrath. I

entreat thee, do with thy brothers, as I bid thee. O thou of great

courage, as I am endued with the powers of a Rakshasa, I am capable of

going whithersoever I like. Mount ye on my hips, I will carry you all

through the skies. And, O chastiser of foes, awaken these and thy mother

sleeping in comfort. Taking them all on my body, I will convey you

through the skies.'


"Bhima then said, 'O thou of fair hips, fear not anything. I am sure that

as long as I am here, there is no Rakshasa capable of injuring any of

these, O thou of slender waist. I will slay this (cannibal) before thy

very eyes. This worst of Rakshasas, O timid one, is no worthy antagonist

of mine, nor can all the Rakshasas together bear the strength of my arms.

Behold these strong arms of mine, each like unto the trunk of an

elephant. Behold also these thighs of mine like unto iron maces, and this

broad and adamantine chest. O beautiful one, thou shall today behold my

prowess like unto that of Indra. O thou of fair hips, hate me not,

thinking that I am a man.'


"Hidimva replied saying, 'O tiger among men, O thou of the beauty of a

celestial, I do not certainly hold thee in contempt. But I have seen the

prowess that Rakshasas exert upon men.'


"Vaisampayana continued, 'Then, O Bharata, the wrathful Rakshasa eating

human flesh heard these words of Bhima who had been talking in that way.

And Hidimva beheld his sister disguised in human form, her head decked

with garlands of flowers and her face like the full moon and her eyebrows

and nose and eyes and ringlets all of the handsomest description, and her

nails and complexion of the most delicate hue, and herself wearing every

kind of ornament and attired in fine transparent robes. The cannibal,

beholding her in that charming human form, suspected that she was

desirous of carnal intercourse and became indignant. And, O best of the

Kurus, becoming angry with his sister, the Rakshasa dilated his eyes and

addressing her said, 'What senseless creature wishes to throw obstacles

in my path now that I am so hungry? Hast thou become so senseless, O

Hidimva, that thou fearest not my wrath? Fie on thee, thou unchaste

woman! Thou art even now desirous of carnal intercourse and solicitous of

doing me an injury. Thou art ready to sacrifice the good name and honour

of all the Rakshasas, thy ancestors! Those with whose aid thou wouldst do

me this great injury, I will, even now, slay along with thee.' Addressing

his sister thus, Hidimva, with eyes red with anger and teeth pressing

against teeth, ran at her to kill her then and there. But beholding him

rush at his sister, Bhima, that foremost of smiter, endued with great

energy, rebuked him and said, Stop--Stop!"


"Vaisampayana continued, 'And Bhima, beholding the Rakshasa angry with

his sister, smiled (in derision), and said, addressing him, 'O Hidimva,

what need is there for thee to awaken these persons sleeping so

comfortably? O wicked cannibal, approach me first without loss of time.

Smite me first,--it behoveth thee not to kill a woman, especially when

she hath been sinned against instead of sinning. This girl is scarcely

responsible for her act in desiring intercourse with me. She hath, in

this, been moved by the deity of desire that pervadeth every living form.

Thou wicked wretch and the most infamous of Rakshasas, thy sister came

here at thy command. Beholding my person, she desireth me. In that the

timid girl doth no injury to thee. It is the deity of desire that hath

offended. It behoveth thee not to injure her for this offence. O wicked

wretch, thou shalt not slay a woman when I am here. Come with me, O

cannibal, and fight with myself singly. Singly shall I send thee today to

the abode of Yama (Pluto). O Rakshasa, let thy head today, pressed by my

might, be pounded to pieces, as though pressed by the tread of a mighty

elephant. When thou art slain by me on the field of battle, let herons

and hawks and jackals tear in glee thy limbs today on the ground. In a

moment I shall today make this forest destitute of Rakshasas,--this

forest that had so long been ruled by thee, devourer of human beings! Thy

sister, O Rakshasa, shall today behold thyself, huge though thou art like

a mountain, like a huge elephant repeatedly dragged by a lion, O worst of

Rakshasas, thyself slain by me, men ranging these woods will henceforth

do so safely and without fear.'


"Hearing these words, Hidimva said, 'What need is there, O man, for this

thy vaunt and this thy boast? Accomplish all this first, and then mayst

thou vaunt indeed. Therefore, delay thou not. Thou knowest thyself to be

strong and endued with prowess, so thou shalt rightly estimate thy

strength today in thy encounter with me. Until that, I will not slay

these (thy brothers). Let them sleep comfortably. But I will, as thou art

a fool and the utterer of evil speeches, slay thee first. After drinking

thy blood, I will slay these also, and then last of all, this (sister of

mine) that hath done me an injury.'


"Vaisampayana continued, 'Saying this, the cannibal, extending his arms

ran in wrath towards Bhimasena, that chastiser of foes. Then Bhima of

terrible prowess quickly seized, as though in sport, with great force,

the extended arms of the Rakshasa who had rushed at him. Then seizing the

struggling Rakshasa with violence, Bhima dragged him from that spot full

thirty-two cubits like a lion dragging a little animal. Then the

Rakshasa, thus made to feel the weight of Bhima's strength, became very

angry and clasping the Pandava, sent forth a terrible yell. The mighty

Bhima then dragged with force the Rakshasa to a greater distance, lest

his yells should awaken his brothers sleeping in comfort. Clasping and

dragging each other with great force, both Hidimva and Bhimasena put

forth their prowess. Fighting like two full-grown elephants mad with

rage, they then began to break down the trees and tear the creepers that

grew around. And at those sounds, those tigers among men (the sleeping

Pandavas) woke up with their mother, and saw Hidimva sitting before

them.'"




SECTION CLVI


(Hidimva-vadha Parva continued)


"Vaisampayana said, 'Roused from sleep, those tigers among men, with

their mother, beholding the extraordinary beauty of Hidimva, were filled

with wonder. And Kunti, gazing at her with wonder at her beauty,

addressed her sweetly and gave her every assurance. She asked, 'O thou of

the splendour of a daughter of the celestials, whose art thou and who art

thou? O thou of the fairest complexion, on what business hast thou come

hither and whence hast thou come? If thou art the deity of these woods or

an Apsara, tell me all regarding thyself and also why thou stayest here?'

Thereupon Hidimva replied, 'This extensive forest that thou seest, of the

hue of blue cloud, is the abode of a Rakshasa of the name of Hidimva. O

handsome lady, know me as the sister of that chief of the Rakshasa.

Revered dame, I had been sent by that brother of mine to kill thee with

all thy children. But on arriving here at the command of that cruel

brother of mine, I beheld thy mighty son. Then, O blessed lady, I was

brought under the control of thy son by the deity of love who pervadeth

the nature of every being, and I then (mentally) chose that mighty son of

thine as my husband. I tried my best to convey you hence, but I could not

(because of thy son's opposition). Then the cannibal, seeing my delay,

came hither to kill all these thy children. But he hath been dragged

hence with force by that mighty and intelligent son of thine--my husband.

Behold now that couple--man and Rakshasa--both endued with great strength

and prowess, engaged in combat, grinding each other and filling the whole

region with their shouts.'


"Vaisampayana continued, 'Hearing those words of hers, Yudhishthira

suddenly rose up and Arjuna also and Nakula and Sahadeva of great energy

and they beheld Bhima and the Rakshasa already engaged in fight, eager to

overcome each other and dragging each other with great force, like two

lions endued with great might. The dust raised by their feet in

consequence of that encounter looked like the smoke of a

forest-conflagration. Covered with that dust their huge bodies resembled

two tall cliffs enveloped in mist. Then Arjuna, beholding Bhima rather

oppressed in the fight by the Rakshasa, slowly, said with smiles on his

lips, 'Fear not, O Bhima of mighty arms! We (had been asleep and

therefore) knew not that thou wast engaged with a terrible Rakshasa and

tired in fight. Here do I stand to help thee, let me slay the Rakshasa,

and let Nakula and Sahadeva protect our mother.' Hearing him, Bhima said,

'Look on this encounter, O brother, like a stranger. Fear not for the

result. Having come within the reach of my arms, he shall not escape with

life.' Then Arjuna said, 'What need, O Bhima, for keeping the Rakshasa

alive so long? O oppressor of enemies, we are to go hence, and cannot

stay here longer. The east is reddening, the morning twilight is about to

set in. The Rakshasa became stronger by break of day, therefore, hasten,

O Bhima! Play not (with thy victim), but slay the terrible Rakshasa soon.

During the two twilights Rakshasas always put forth their powers of

deception. Use all the strength of thy arms.


"Vaisampayana continued, 'At this speech of Arjuna, Bhima blazing up with

anger, summoned the might that Vayu (his father) puts forth at the time

of the universal dissolution. And filled with rage, he quickly raised

high in the air the Rakshasa's body, blue as the clouds of heaven, and

whirled it a hundred times. Then addressing the cannibal, Bhima said, 'O

Rakshasa, thy intelligence was given thee in vain, and in vain hast thou

grown and thriven on unsanctified flesh. Thou deservest, therefore, an

unholy death and I shall reduce thee today to nothing. I shall make this

forest blessed today, like one without prickly plants. And, O Rakshasa,

thou shalt no longer slay human beings for thy food.' Arjuna at this

juncture, said, 'O Bhima, if thou thinkest it a hard task for thee to

overcome this Rakshasa in combat, let me render thee help, else, slay him

thyself without loss of time. Or, O Vrikodara, let me alone slay the

Rakshasa. Thou art tired, and hast almost finished the affair. Well dost

thou deserve rest.'


"Vaisampayana continued, 'Hearing these words of Arjuna, Bhima was fired

with rage and dashing the Rakshasa on the ground with all his might slew

him as if he were an animal. The Rakshasa, while dying, sent forth a

terrible yell that filled the whole forest, and was deep as the sound of

a wet drum. Then the mighty Bhima, holding the body with his hands, bent

it double, and breaking it in the middle, greatly gratified his brothers.

Beholding Hidimva slain, they became exceedingly glad and lost no time in

offering their congratulations to Bhima, that chastiser of all foes. Then

Arjuna worshipping the illustrious Bhima of terrible prowess, addressed

him again and said, 'Revered senior, I think there is a town not far off

from this forest. Blest be thou, let us go hence soon, so that Duryodhana

may not trace us.'


"Then all those mighty car-warriors, those tigers among men, saying, 'So

be it,' proceeded along with their mother, followed by Hidimva, the

Rakshasa woman.'"




SECTION CLVII


(Hidimva-vadha Parva continued)


"Vaisampayana said, 'Bhima, beholding Hidimva following them, addressed

her, saying, 'Rakshasas revenge themselves on their enemies by adopting

deceptions that are incapable of being penetrated. Therefore, O Hidimva,

go thou the way on which thy brother hath gone.' Then Yudhishthira

beholding Bhima in rage, said, 'O Bhima, O tiger among men, however

enraged, do not slay a woman. O Pandava, the observance of virtue is a

higher duty than the protection of life. Hidimva, who had come with the

object of slaying us, thou hast already slain. This woman is the sister

of that Rakshasa, what can she do to us even if she were angry?'


"Vaisampayana continued, 'Then Hidimva reverentially saluting Kunti and

her son Yudhishthira also, said, with joined palms, 'O revered lady, thou

knowest the pangs that women are made to feel at the hands of the deity

of love. Blessed dame, these pangs, of which Bhimasena hath been the

cause, are torturing me. I had hitherto borne these insufferable pangs,

waiting for the time (when thy son could assuage them). That time is now

come, when I expected I would be made happy. Casting off my friends and

relations and the usage of my race, I have, O blessed lady, chosen this

son of thine, this tiger among men, as my husband. I tell thee truly, O

illustrious lady, that if I am cast off by that hero or by thee either, I

will no longer bear this life of mine. Therefore, O thou of the fairest

complexion, it behoveth thee to show me mercy, thinking me either as very

silly or thy obedient slave. O illustrious dame, unite me with this thy

son, my husband. Endued as he is with the form of a celestial, let me go

taking him with me wherever I like. Trust me, O blessed lady, I will

again bring him back unto you all. When you think of me I will come to

you immediately and convey you whithersoever ye may command. I will

rescue you from all dangers and carry you across inaccessible and uneven

regions. I will carry you on my back whenever ye desire to proceed with

swiftness. O, be gracious unto me and make Bhima accept me. It hath been

said that in a season of distress one should protect one's life by any

means. He, that seeketh to discharge that duty should not scruple about

the means. He, that in a season of distress keepeth his virtue, is the

foremost of virtuous men. Indeed, distress is the greatest danger to

virtue and virtuous men. It is virtue that protecteth life; therefore is

virtue called the giver of life. Hence the means by which virtue or the

observance of a duty is secured can never be censurable.'


"Hearing these words of Hidimva, Yudhishthira said. 'It is even so, O

Hidimva, as thou sayest. There is no doubt of it. But, O thou of slender

waist, thou must act even as thou hast said. Bhima will, after he hath

washed himself and said his prayers and performed the usual propitiatory

rites, pay his attentions to thee till the sun sets. Sport thou with him

as thou likest during the day, O thou that art endued with the speed of

the mind! But thou must bring back Bhimasena hither every day at

nightfall.'


"Vaisampayana continued, 'Then Bhima, expressing his assent to all that

Yudhishthira said, addressed Hidimva, saying, 'Listen to me, O Rakshasa

woman! Truly do I make this engagement with thee that I will stay with

thee, O thou of slender waist, until thou obtainest a son.' Then Hidimva,

saying, 'So be it,' took Bhima upon her body and sped through the sides.

On mountain peaks of picturesque scenery and regions sacred to the gods,

abounding with dappled herds and echoing with the melodies of feathered

tribes, herself assuming the handsomest form decked with every ornament

and pouring forth at times mellifluous strains. Hidimva sported with the

Pandava and studied to make him happy. So also, in inaccessible regions

of forests, and on mountain-breasts overgrown with blossoming trees on

lakes resplendent with lotuses and lilies, islands of rivers and their

pebbly banks, on sylvan streams with beautiful banks and

mountain-currents, in picturesque woods with blossoming trees and

creepers in Himalayan bowers, and various caves, on crystal pools smiling

with lotuses, on sea-shores shining with gold and pearls, in beautiful

towns and fine gardens, in woods sacred to the gods and on hill-sides, in

the regions of Guhyakas and ascetics, on the banks of Manasarovara

abounding with fruits and flowers of every season Hidimva, assuming the

handsomest form, sported with Bhima and studied to make him happy. Endued

with the speed of the mind, she sported with Bhima in all these regions,

till in time, she conceived and brought forth a mighty son begotten upon

her by the Pandava. Of terrible eyes and large mouth and straight arrowy

ears, the child was terrible to behold. Of lips brown as copper and sharp

teeth and loud roar, of mighty arms and great strength and excessive

prowess, this child became a mighty bowman. Of long nose, broad chest,

frightfully swelling calves, celerity of motion and excessive strength,

he had nothing human in his countenance, though born of man. And he

excelled (in strength and prowess) all Pisachas and kindred tribes as

well as all Rakshasas. And, O monarch, though a little child, he grew up

a youth the very hour he was born. The mighty hero soon acquired high

proficiency in the use of all weapons. The Rakshasa women bring forth the

very day they conceive, and capable of assuming any forms at will, they

always change their forms. And the bald-headed child, that mighty bowman,

soon after his birth, bowing down to his mother, touched her feet and the

feet also of his father. His parents then bestowed upon him a name. His

mother having remarked that his head was (bald) like unto a Ghata

(water-pot), both his parents thereupon called him Ghatotkacha (the

pot-headed). And Ghatotkacha who was exceedingly devoted to the Pandavas,

became a great favourite with them, indeed almost one of them.


"Then Hidimva, knowing that the period of her stay (with her husband) had

come to an end, saluted the Pandavas and making a new appointment with

them went away whithersoever she liked. And Ghatotkacha also--that

foremost of Rakshasas--promising unto his father that he would come when

wanted on business, saluted them and went away northward. Indeed, it was

the illustrious Indra who created (by lending a portion of himself) the

mighty car-warrior Ghatotkacha as a fit antagonist of Karna of unrivalled

energy, in consequence of the dart he had given unto Karna (and which was

sure to kill the person against whom it would be hurled).'"




SECTION CLVIII


(Hidimva-vadha Parva continued)


"Vaisampayana said, 'Those mighty car-warriors, the heroic Pandavas, then

went, O king, from forest to forest killing deer and many animals (for

their food). And in the course of their wanderings they saw the countries

of the Matsyas, the Trigartas, the Panchalas and then of the Kichakas,

and also many beautiful woods and lakes therein. And they all had matted

locks on their heads and were attired in barks of trees and the skins of

animals. Indeed, with Kunti in their company those illustrious heroes

were attired in the garbs of ascetics. And those mighty car-warriors

sometimes proceeded in haste, carrying their mother on their backs; and

sometimes they proceeded in disguise, and sometimes again with great

celerity. And they used to study the Rik and the other Vedas and also all

the Vedangas as well as the sciences of morals and politics. And the

Pandavas, conversant with the science of morals, met, in course of their

wanderings their grandfather (Vyasa). And saluting the illustrious

Krishna-Dwaipayana, those chastisers of enemies, with their mother, stood

before him with joined hands.'


"Vyasa then said, 'Ye bulls of Bharata's race, I knew beforehand of this

affliction of yours consisting in your deceitful exile by the son of

Dhritarashtra. Knowing this, I have come to you, desirous of doing you

some great good. Do not grieve for what hath befallen you. Know that all

this is for your happiness. Undoubtedly, the sons of Dhritarashtra and

you are all equal in my eye. But men are always partial to those who are

in misfortune or of tender years. It is therefore, that my affection for

you is greater now. And in consequence of that affection, I desire to do

you good. Listen to me! Not far off before you is a delightful town where

no danger can overtake you. Live ye there in disguise, waiting for my

return.'


'Vaisampayana continued, 'Vyasa, the son of Satyavati, thus comforting

the Pandavas, led them into the town of Ekachakra. And the master also

comforted Kunti, saying, 'Live, O daughter! This son of thine,

Yudhishthira, ever devoted to truth, this illustrious bull among men,

having by his justice conquered the whole world, will rule over all the

other monarchs of the earth. There is little doubt that, having by means

of Bhima's and Arjuna's prowess conquered the whole earth with her belt

of seas, he will enjoy the sovereignty thereof. Thy sons as well as those

of Madri--mighty car-warriors all--will cheerfully sport as pleaseth them

in their dominions. These tigers among men will also perform various

sacrifices, such as the Rajasuya and the horse-sacrifice, in which the

presents unto the Brahmanas are very large. And these thy sons will rule

their ancestral kingdom, maintaining their friends and relatives in

luxury and affluence and happiness.'


"Vaisampayana continued, 'With these words Vyasa introduced them into the

dwelling of a Brahmana. And the island-born Rishi, addressing the eldest

of the Pandavas, said, 'Wait here for me! I will come back to you! By

adapting yourselves to the country and the occasion you will succeed in

becoming very happy.'


"Then, O king, the Pandavas with joined hands said unto the Rishi, 'So be

it.' And the illustrious master, the Rishi Vyasa, then went away to the

region whence he had come.'"



Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad Code