Ad Code

The Mahabharata, of, Krishna-Dwaipayana Vyasa, BOOK 3, (Tirtha-yatra Parva), SECTION CLXVIII

 


 The Mahabharata, of, Krishna-Dwaipayana Vyasa, BOOK 3, (Tirtha-yatra Parva), 

SECTION CLXVIII

"Arjuna continued, 'Then at places eulogised by the Maharshis, I
(proceeded, and at length) beheld the ocean--that inexhaustible lord of
waters. And like unto flowing cliffs were seen on it heaving billows, now
meeting together and now rolling away. And there (were seen) all around
barks by thousands filled with gems. And there were seen timingilas and
tortoises and makaras like unto rock submerged in water. And on all sides
round thousands of shells sunk in water appeared like star in the night
covered by light clouds. And thousands upon thousands of gem were
floating in heaps and a violent wind was blowing about in whirls--and
this was wonderful to behold. And having beheld that excellent lord of
all waters with powerful tides, I saw at a short distance the city of the
demons filled with the Danavas. And even there, eftsoons entering
underneath the earth, Matali skilled in guiding the car, sitting fast on
the chariot drove it with force; and he dashed on, frightening that city
with the rattling of his chariot. And hearing that rattling of the
chariot like unto the rumbling of the clouds in the sky, the Danavas,
thinking me to be the lord of the celestials, became agitated. And
thereupon they all, frightened at heart, stood holding in their hands
bows and arrows and swords and javelins and axes and maces and clubs.
Then having made arrangements for the defence of the city, the Danavas,
with minds alarmed, shut the gates, so that nothing could be discovered.
Thereupon taking my shell, Devadatta, of tremendous roars, I again and
again winded it with exceeding cheerfulness. And filling all the
firmament, those sounds produced echoes. Thereat mighty beings were
terrified and they hid (themselves). And then, O Bharata, all of them
adorned with ornaments, those offsprings of Diti--the
Nivata-Kavachas--made their appearance by thousands, donning diverse mail
and taking in their hands various weapons and equipped with mighty iron
javelins and maces and clubs and hatchets and sabres and discs and
sataghnis and bhusundis and variegated and ornamented swords. Then, after
deliberating much as to the course of the car, Matali began to guide the
steeds on a (piece of) level ground, O foremost of the Bharatas. And
owing to the swiftness of those fleet coursers conducted by him, I could
see nothing--and this was strange. Then the Danavas there began to sound
thousands of musical instruments, dissonant and of odd shapes. And at
those sounds, fishes by hundreds and by thousands, like unto hills,
having their senses bewildered by that noise, fled suddenly. And mighty
force flew at me, the demons discharging sharpened shafts by hundreds and
by thousands. And then, O Bharata, there ensued a dreadful conflict
between me and the demons, calculated to extinguish the Nivata-Kavachas.
And there came to the mighty battle the Devarshis and the Danavarshis and
the Brahmarshis and the Siddhas. And desirous of victory, the Munis
eulogised me with the same sweet-speeches that (they had eulogised) Indra
with, at the war, (which took place) for the sake of Tara.'"



SECTION CLXIX

"Arjuna continued, 'Then, O Bharata, vehemently rushed at me in battle in
a body the Nivata-Kavachas, equipped with arms. And obstructing the
course of the car, and shouting loudly, those mighty charioteers, hemming
me in on all sides, covered me with showers of shafts. Then other demons
of mighty prowess, with darts and hatchets in their hands, began to throw
at me spears and axes. And that mighty discharge of darts, with numerous
maces and clubs incessantly hurled fell upon my car. And other dreadful
and grim-visaged smiters among the Nivata-Kavachas, furnished with bows
and sharpened weapons, ran at me in fight. And in the conflict, shooting
from the Gandiva sundry swift arrows coursing straight, I pierced each of
them with ten. And they were driven back by those stone-whetted shafts of
mine. Then on my steeds being swiftly driven by Matali, they began to
display various movements with the speed of the wind. And being skilfully
guided by Matali, they began to trample upon the sons of Diti. And
although the steeds yoked unto that mighty chariot numbered hundreds upon
hundreds, yet being deftly conducted by Matali, they began to move, as if
they were only a few. And by their tread, and by the rattling of the
chariot wheels and by the vollies of my shafts, the Danavas began to fall
by hundreds. And others accoutred in bows, being deprived of life, and
having their charioteers slain, were carried about by the horses. Then,
covering all sides and directions, all (the Danavas) skilled in striking
entered into the contest with various weapons, and thereat my mind became
afflicted. And I witnessed (this instance of) the marvellous prowess of
Matali, viz., that he guided those fiery steeds with ease. Then, O king,
in the conflict, with diverse fleet weapons I pierced by hundreds and by
thousands (demons) bearing arms. And, O slayer of foes, seeing me thus
range the field putting forth every exertion, the heroic charioteer of
Sakra was well-pleased. And oppressed by those steeds and that car, some
(of them) met with annihilation; and others desisted from fight; while
(other) Nivata-Kavachas, challenged by us in battle and being harassed
with shafts offered opposition unto me, by (discharging) mighty showers
of arrows. Thereupon, with hundreds and thousands of sundry fleet weapons
inspired with the mantras relating to Brahma's weapons, I swiftly began
to burn them. And being sore pressed by me, those mighty asuras waxing
wroth afflicted me together, by pouring torrents of clubs and darts and
swords. Then, O Bharata, I took up that favourite weapon of the lord of
the celestials, Maghavan by name, prime and of fiery energy and by the
energy of that weapon I cut into a thousand pieces the Tomaras, together
with the swords and the tridents hurled by them. And having cut off their
arms I in ire pierced them each with ten shafts. And in the field arrows
were shot from the Gandiva like unto rows of black-bees; and this Matali
admired. And their shafts also showered upon me; but those powerful
(arrows) I cut off with my shafts. Then on being struck the
Nivata-Kavachas again covered me on all sides with a mighty shower of
arrows. And having neutralised the force of the arrows by excellent swift
and flaming weapons capable of baffling arms, I pierced them by
thousands. And blood began to flow from their torn frames, even as in the
rainy season waters run down from the summits of mountains. And on being
wounded by my fleet and straight-coursing shafts of the touch of Indra's
thunder-bolt, they became greatly agitated. And their bodies were pierced
at hundreds of places; and the force of their arms diminished. Then the
Nivata-Kavachas fought me by (the help of) illusion.'"



SECTION CLXX

"Arjuna said, 'Then with rocks of the proportions of trees, there
commenced a mighty shower of crags; and this exercised me exceedingly.
And in that high encounter, I crushed (those crags) by swift-speeding
showers of arrows, issuing from Mahendra's weapon, like unto the
thunder-bolt itself. And when the rocks had been reduced to powder, there
was generated fire; and the rocky dust fell like unto masses of flames.
And when the showers of crags had been repelled, there happened near me a
mightier shower of water, having currents of the proportions of an axle.
And falling from the welkin, those thousands of powerful torrents covered
the entire firmament and the directions and the cardinal points. And on
account of the pouring of the shower, and of the blowing of the wind, and
of roaring of the Daityas, nothing could be perceived. And touching
heaven and the entire earth, and incessantly falling on the ground, the
showers bewildered me. Thereupon, I discharged that celestial weapon
which I had learnt from Indra--even the dreadful and flaming Visoshana:
and by that the water was dried up. And, O Bharata, when the rocky shower
had been destroyed, and the watery shower had been dried up, the Danavas
began to spread illusions of fire and wind. Then by aqueous appliances I
extinguished the flames; and by a mighty rock-issuing arm, resisted the
fury of the winds. And when these had been repelled, the Danavas,
irrepressible in battle, O foremost of the Bharata, simultaneously
created various illusions. And there happened a tremendous horrifying
shower of rocks and dreadful weapons of fire and wind. And that illusory
downpour afflicted me in fight. And then on all sides there appeared a
dense and thick darkness. And when the world had been enveloped in deep
and dense darkness, the steeds turned away, Matali fell off, and from his
hand the golden lash fell to the earth. And, O foremost of the Bharatas,
being frightened, he again and again cried, 'Where art thou?' And when he
had been stupefied, a terrible fear possessed me. And then in a hurry, he
spake unto me, saying, 'O Partha, for the sake of nectar, there had taken
place a mighty conflict between the gods and the demons. I had seen that
(encounter), O sinless one. And on the occasion of the destruction of
Samvara, there had occurred a dreadful and mighty contest. Nevertheless I
had acted as charioteer to the lord of the celestials. In the same way,
on the occasion of the slaying of Vritra, the steeds had been conducted
by me. And I had also beheld the high and terrific encounter with
Virochana's son, and, O Pandava, with Vala, and with Prahrada and with
others also. In these exceedingly dreadful battles, I was present; but, O
Pandu's son, never (before) had I lost my senses. Surely the Great-father
hath ordained the destruction of all creatures; for this battle cannot be
for any other purpose than destruction of the universe.' Having heard
these words of his, pacifying my perturbation by my own effort, I will
destroy the mighty energy of the illusion spread by the Danavas quoth I
unto the terrified Matali. Behold the might of my arms, and the power of
my weapons and of the bow, Gandiva. To-day even by (the help of)
illusion-creating arms, will I dispel this deep gloom and also this
horrible illusion of theirs. Do not fear, O charioteer. Pacify thyself.'
Having said this, O lord of men, I created for the good of the
celestials, an illusion of arms capable of bewildering all beings. And
when (their) illusion had been dispelled, some of the foremost amongst
the Asuras, of unrivalled prowess, again spread diverse kinds of
illusion. Thereupon, now (the world) displayed itself, and now it was
devoured by darkness; and now the world disappeared from view and now it
was submerged under water. And when it had brightened up. Matali, sitting
in front of the car, with the wellconducted steeds, began to range that
hair-erecting field. Then the fierce Nivata-Kavachas assailed me. And
finding my opportunity. I began to send them to the mansion of Yama.
Thereupon, in that conflict then raging, calculated to annihilate the
Nivata-Kavachas on a sudden, I could not see the Danavas concealed by
illusion."



SECTION CLXXI

"Arjuna continued, 'Remaining invisible the Daityas began to fight with
the help of illusion. And I too fought with them, resorting to the energy
of visible weapons. And the shafts duly discharged from the Gandiva,
began to sever their heads at those different places where they were
respectively stationed. And thus assailed by me in the conflict, the
Nivata-Kavachas, all on a sudden withdrawing the illusion, entered into
their own city. And when the Daityas had fled, and when all had become
visible, I there discovered hundreds and thousands of the slain. And
there I saw by hundreds their shivered weapons, ornaments, limbs, and
mail. And the horses could not find room for moving from one place to
another; and on a sudden with a bound, they fell to coursing in the sky.
Then remaining invisible, the Nivata-Kavachas covered the entire welkin
with masses of crags. And, O Bharata, other dreadful Danavas, entering
into the entrails of the earth, took up horses' legs and chariot-wheels.
And as I was fighting, they, hard besetting my horses with rocks,
attacked me together with (my) car. And with the crags that had fallen
and with others that were falling, the place where I was, seemed to be a
mountain cavern. And on myself being covered with crags and on the horses
being hard pressed, I became sore distressed and this was marked by
Matali. And on seeing me afraid, he said unto me, 'O Arjuna, Arjuna! be
thou not afraid; send that weapon, the thunder-bolt, O lord of men.'
Hearing those words of his, I then discharged the favourite weapon of the
king of the celestials--the dreadful thunderbolt. And inspiring the
Gandiva with mantras, I, aiming at the locality of the crags, shot
sharpened iron shafts of the touch of the thunder-bolt. And sent by the
thunder, those adamantine arrows entered into all those illusions and
into the midst of those Nivata-Kavachas. And slaughtered by the vehemence
of the thunder, those Danavas resembling cliffs, fell to the earth
together in masses. And entering amongst those Danavas that had carried
away the steeds of the car into the interior of the earth, the shafts
sent them into the mansion of Yama. And that quarter was completely
covered with the Nivata-Kavachas that had been killed or baffled,
comparable unto cliffs and lying scattered like crags. And then no injury
appeared to have been sustained either by the horses, or by the car, or
by Matali, or by me, and this seemed strange. Then, O king, Matali
addressed me smiling, 'Not in the celestials themselves, O Arjuna, is
seen the prowess that is seen in thee. And when the Danava hosts had been
destroyed, all their females began to bewail in that city, like unto
cranes in autumn. Then with Matali I entered that city, terrifying with
the rattling of my car the wives of the Nivata-Kavachas. Thereupon,
seeing those ten thousand horses like unto peacocks (in hue), and also
that chariot resembling the sun, the women fled in swarms. And like unto
(the sounds of) rocks falling on a mountain, sounds arose of the
(falling) ornaments of the terrified dames. (At length), the
panic-stricken wives of the Daityas entered into their respective golden
places variegated with innumerable jewels.

'Beholding that excellent city, superior to the city of the celestials
themselves, I asked Matali, saying, 'Why do not the celestials reside in
such (a place)? Surely, this appeareth superior to the city of
Purandara.' Thereat, Matali said, 'In days of yore, O Partha, even this
was the city of our lord of the celestials. Afterwards the celestials
were driven from hence by the Nivata-Kavachas. Having performed the most
rigid austerities, they had gratified the Grand-father and had asked (and
obtained) the boons--namely, that they might reside here, and that they
might be free from danger in wars with the gods.' Then Sakra addressed
the self-create lord saying, 'Do thou, O lord, desirous of our own
welfare do what is proper.' Thereupon, O Bharata, in this matter the Lord
commanded (Indra), saying, 'O slayer of foes, in another body, even thou
shalt be (the destroyer of the Danavas).' Then, in order to slaughter
them, Sakra rendered unto thee those weapons. The gods had been unable to
slay these, who have been slain by thee. O Bharata, in the fullness of
time, hadst thou come hither, in order to destroy them and thou hast done
so. O foremost of men, with the object that the demons might be killed,
Mahendra had conferred on thee the excellent prime energy of these
weapons.'

"Arjuna continued, 'After having destroyed the Danavas, and also subdued
that city, with Matali I again went to that abode of the celestials.'"



SECTION CLXXII

"Arjuna continued, 'Then while returning, I happened to descry a mighty
unearthly city, moving at will, and having the effulgence of fire or the
sun. And that city contained various trees composed of gems, and
sweet-voiced feathered ones. And furnished with four gates, and
gate-ways, and towers, that impregnable (city) was inhabited by the
Paulamas and Kalakanjas. And it was made of all sorts of jewels and was
unearthly, and of wonderful appearance. And it was covered with trees of
all kinds of gems, bearing fruits and flowers. And it contained
exceedingly beautiful unearthly birds. And it always swarmed throughout
with cheerful Asuras, wearing garlands, and bearing in their hands darts,
two edged swords, maces, bows, and clubs. And, O king, on seeing this
wonderful city of the Daityas, I asked Matali saying, 'What is this that
looketh so wonderful?' Thereat, Matali replied, 'Once on a time a
Daitya's daughter, named Pulama and a mighty female of the Asura order,
Kalaka by name, practised severe austerities for a thousand celestial
years. And at the end of their austerities, the self-create conferred on
them boons. And, O king of kings, they received these boons,--that their
offspring might never suffer misfortune; that they might be incapable of
being destroyed even by the gods, the Rakshasas and the Pannagas; and
that they might obtain a highly effulgent and surpassingly fair aerial
city, furnished with all manner of gems and invincible even by the
celestials, the Maharshis, the Yakshas, the Gandharvas, the Pannagas, the
Asuras and the Rakshasas. O best of the Bharatas, this is that unearthly
aerial city devoid of the celestials, which is moving about, having been
created for the Kalakeyas, by Brahma himself. And this city is furnished
with all desirable objects, and is unknown of grief or disease. And, O
hero, celebrated under the name of Hiranyapura, this mighty city is
inhabited by the Paulamas and the Kalakanjas; and it is also guarded by
those mighty Asuras. And, O king, unslayed by any of the gods, there they
dwell cheerfully, free from anxiety and having all their desires
gratified, O foremost of kings. Formerly, Brahma had destined destruction
at the hands of mortals. Do thou, O Partha, in fight, compass with that
weapon--the thunder-bolt--the destruction of the mighty and irrepressible
Kalakanjas.'

"Arjuna continued, 'O lord of men, learning that they were incapable of
being destroyed by the celestials and the Asuras, I cheerfully said unto
Matali, 'Do thou speedily repair into yonder city. With weapons will I
compass the annihilation of the haters of the lord of the celestials.
Surely, there exist no wicked haters of the gods who ought not to be
slain by me.' Thereupon Matali took me to the vicinity of Hiranyapura on
the celestial chariot yoked with steeds. And seeing me, those sons of
Diti, wearing various kinds of attire and ornament and accoutred in mail,
flew at me with a mighty rush. And those foremost of the Danavas, of
exceeding prowess, in wrath attacked me with arrows and bhallas and clubs
and two-edged swords, and tomaras. Thereat, O king, resorting to my
strength of lore, I resisted that great volley of weapons by a mighty
shower of shafts; and also confounded them in conflict by ranging around
in my car. And being bewildered, the Danavas began to push each other
down. And having been confounded, they rushed at one another. And with
flaming arrows, I severed their heads by hundreds. And hard pressed by
me, the offspring of Diti, taking shelter within (their) city, soared
with it to the firmament, resorting to the illusion proper to the
Danavas. Thereupon, O son of the Kurus, covering the way of the Daityas,
with a mighty discharge of shafts I obstructed their course. Then by
virtue of the bestowal of the boon, the Daityas supported themselves
easily on that sky-ranging unearthly aerial city, going anywhere at will
and like unto the sun. And now (the city) entered unto the earth and now
it rose upwards; and at one time it went in a crooked way and at another
time it submerged into water. At this, O represser of foes, I assailed
that mighty city, going anywhere at will, and resembling Amaravati. And,
O best of the Bharatas, I attacked the city containing those sons of
Diti, with multitudes of shafts, displaying celestial weapons. And
battered and broken by the straight-coursing iron shafts, shot by me, the
city of the Asuras, O king, fell to the earth. And they also, wounded by
my iron arrows having the speed of the thunder, began, O monarch, to go
about, being urged by destiny. Then ascending to the sky, Matali, as if
falling in front, swiftly descended to the earth, on that chariot of
solar resplendence. Then, O Bharata, environed me sixty thousand cars
belonging to those wrathful ones eager to battle with me. And with
sharpened shafts graced with feathers of the vulture, I destroyed those
(cars). At this, thinking, 'These our hosts are incapable of being
vanquished by mortals, they became engaged in the conflict, like unto the
surges of the sea.' Thereupon I gradually began to fix (on the string)
unearthly weapons. At this, thousands of weapons (shot) by those
wonderfully warring charioteers, by degrees opposed my unearthly arms and
in the field I saw hundreds and thousands of mighty (demons) ranging on
their cars, in various manoeuvres. And being furnished with variegated
mail and standards and diverse ornaments, they delighted my mind. And in
the conflict I could not afflict them by showers of shafts, but they did
not afflict me. And being afflicted by those innumerable ones, equipped
in weapons and skilled in fight, I was pained in that mighty encounter
and a terrible fear seized me. Thereupon collecting (my energies) in
fight, I (bowed down) unto that god of gods, Raudra, and saying, 'May
welfare attend on all beings!' I fixed that mighty weapon which,
celebrated under the name of Raudra, is the destroyer of all foes. Then I
beheld a male person having three heads, nine eyes, three faces, and six
arms. And his hair was flaming like fire or the sun. And, O slayer of
foes, for his dress, he had mighty serpents, putting out their tongues.
And saying, O best of the Bharatas, the dreadful and eternal Raudra, I
being free from fear, set it on the Gandiva; and, bowing unto the
three-eyed Sarva of immeasurable energy, let go (the weapon), with the
object of vanquishing those foremost of the Danavas, O Bharata. And, O
lord of men, as soon as it had been hurled, there appeared on the scene
by thousands, forms of deer, and of lions, and of tigers, and of bears
and of buffaloes, and of serpents, and of kine, and of sarabhas, and of
elephants, and of apes in multitudes, and of bulls, and of boars, and of
cats, and of dogs, and of spectres, and of all the Bhurundas, and of
vultures, and of Garudas, of chamaras, and of all the leopards, and of
mountains, and of seas, and of celestials, and of sages, and of all the
Gandharvas, and of ghosts with the Yakshas, and of the haters of the
gods, (Asuras), and of the Guhyakas in the field, and of the Nairitas and
of elephant-mouthed sharks, and of owls, and of beings having the forms
of fishes and horses, and of beings bearing swords and various other
weapons, and of Rakshasas wielding maces and clubs. And on that weapon
being hurled all the universe became filled with these as well as many
others wearing various shapes. And again and again wounded by beings of
various sights with (pieces of) flesh, fat, bones, and marrow on their
persons,--some having three heads, and some four tusks, and some four
mouths, and some four arms,--the Danavas met with destruction. And, then,
O Bharata, in a moment I slew all those Danavas, with other swarms of
arrows composed of the quintessence of stone, flaming like fire or the
sun, and possessed of the force of the thunder-bolt. And, seeing them
hewn by the Gandiva, and deprived of life, and thrown from the sky, I
again bowed unto that god--the Destroyer of Tripura. And, seeing those
adorned with unearthly ornaments, crushed by the weapon, the Raudra, the
charioteer of the celestials, experienced the greatest delight. And
having witnessed the accomplishment of that unbearable feat incapable of
being achieved even by the celestials themselves, Matali, the charioteer
of Sakra, paid homage unto me; and well-pleased, with joint hands said
these words. 'The feat that hath been achieved by thee, is incapable of
being borne even by the gods, nay,--in battle, the lord of the celestials
himself cannot perform this deed. The sky-coursing mighty city incapable
of being destroyed by the gods and the Asuras hast thou, O hero, crushed
by thy own prowess and by the energy of asceticism. And when that aerial
city had been destroyed, and when the Danavas also had been slain, their
wives, uttering cries of distress, like unto Kurari birds, with hair
dishevelled came out of the city. And bewailing for their sons and
brothers and fathers, they fell on the ground and cried with distressful
accents. And on being deprived for their lords, they beat their breasts,
their garlands and ornaments fallen off. And that city of Danavas, in
appearance like unto the city of the Gandharvas filled with lamentations
and stricken with dole and distress, and bereft of grace even like unto a
lake deprived of (its) elephants, or like unto a forest deprived of trees
and (deprived of its) masters, looked no longer beautiful--but it
vanished, like a cloud-constructed city. And when I had accomplished the
task, eftsoons from the field Matali took me of delighted spirits, unto
the abode of the lord of the celestials. And having slain those mighty
Asuras, and destroyed Hiranyapura, and having also killed the
Nivata-Kavachas, I came unto Indra. And, O exceedingly resplendent one,
as it had fallen out, Matali related in detail unto Devendra that entire
achievement of mine. And with the Marutas, hearing of the destruction of
Hiranyapura, of the neutralisation of the illusion, and of the slaughter
of the highly powerful Nivatakavachas in fight, the prosperous
thousand-eyed divine Purandara was well pleased, and exclaimed, 'Well
done; Well done!' And the king of the celestials together with the
celestials, cheering me again and again, said these sweet words, 'By thee
hath been achieved a feat incapable of being achieved by the gods and the
Asuras. And, O Partha, by slaying my mighty enemies, thou hast paid the
preceptor's fee. And, O Dhananjaya, thus in battle shalt thou always
remain calm, and discharge the weapons unerringly, and there shall not
stand thee in fight celestials, and Danavas, and Rakshasas, and Yakshas,
and Asuras, and Gandharvas and birds and serpents. And, O Kaunteya, by
conquering it even by the might of thy arms, Kunti's son Yudhishthira,
will rule the earth.'"


Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad Code